Who Are LGBTQ+ Students?
The Career Development Center aims to support the career prospects and long-term success of LGBTQ+ students (i.e., Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex, Pansexual, Asexual, Gender Non-Conforming, Non-Binary, Plus individuals and supporters) through lifelong, individualized career counseling and partnerships with other campus resources.
As an LGBTQ+ student, you might encounter distinctive challenges during your job and internship search, such as assessing workplace inclusivity, addressing discrimination concerns, or confidently expressing your true self in professional settings. Our team of Career Educators understands these challenges and is committed to helping you successfully navigate your career path. We provide guidance and resources to ensure you’re well-prepared for every step of the application and interview process, so you can pursue your professional aspirations with confidence.
On this page, you’ll find career-specific advice and resources for students of color at St. Thomas. Here are 3 reasons you should engage with career services today:
- Feel confident. From preparing for an interview to researching different employers, let us be your partners in creating a career journey that celebrates your unique identity and empowers you to thrive in the professional world.
- Find a career mentor. On St. Thomas Connect, you can meet Tommie alumni who will happily share with you their firsthand experiences, provide compassionate mentorship, or help you build connections with certain companies.
- Make the most of your education. Your tuition at St. Thomas pays for more than just your courses. It pays for all sorts of services and amenities on campus — from flu shots to water fountains to lifelong career appointments!
- Student Diversity & Inclusion Services: Learn about different programs and scholarships at St. Thomas that enhance the campus climate and support the development of a diverse campus community. Follow SDIS on Instagram to be in the know!
- Qmmunity: The Qmmunity celebrations honor LGBTQIA+ students and the intersections of underrepresented communities and highlight students within the St. Thomas community for their accomplishments and leadership as members of these communities. Stay informed about upcoming Qmmunity events by following them on Tommie Link.
- Center for Well-Being: If you’re struggling, don’t hesitate to schedule time with a counselor. Find a variety of services from Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), including individual counseling and group therapy.
Diversity and inclusion are top of mind for many managers and C-suite executives in the workplace. But it’s no secret that these workplaces still have much work to do to make employees feel represented, heard, and supported.
In fact, according …
We all spend a considerable amount of time in our lives in the workplace. It stands to reason, then, that many social and cultural movements over the years have stemmed from discrimination in the workplace, or from work environments that …
In recent times, many companies have begun establishing their own, employee-run resource groups. These resource groups provide support for employees of various backgrounds, while allowing individuals to come together under common values and interests. Employee resource groups (ERGs) often offer …
June is widely-recognized as Pride Month, kicking off a series of events and parades to recognize the LGBTQ+ community. But before Pride became a worldwide celebration, it was a protest.
In 1969, the Stonewall Riots initiated a major turning point …
In the realm of job interviews, one question frequently takes center stage: “Why are you looking for a new job?”
The query demands a thoughtful response, especially in today’s competitive professional landscape. This question often arises because prospective employers want …